The Accessibility Site introduces content consumption and browsing, with the use of assistive technologies for accessibility, without requiring login. The Site is a channel based structure that can be enabled or disabled, for an alternative content browsing experience for users. Channels, Zones and Bulletins can all be opted into or out of, for granular control over what content displays on the Accessibility Site. Channels are opt in and Zones and Bulletins are opt out. When Channels are enabled, a link to the content will be provided on the Accessibility Site.
Content Accessibility functionality is available in Carousel 7.5.0+ and Carousel Cloud in April 2019.
Enabling Content Accessibility
Log into Carousel as the system 'Admin'. Navigate to admin > Configure > Channels, and select 'Edit' on the Channel you wish to enable Content Accessibility.
From the Channel Edit screen, select 'Settings' and click on the 'Content Accessibility' toggle to 'Yes'.
Viewing Content via the Accessibility Site
As a user with Carousel login credentials, containing Channel access, navigate to Configure > Channels. Click on the Globe icon, which will bring you to the Accessibility Site. Share the URL of the Accessibility Site page with users without a Carousel a login, to browse content. Note, Channels with the Globe icon grayed are not enabled to display on the Accessibility Site.
As displayed in the image below, Channels that have Content Accessibility enabled will appear as hyperlinks across the top of the page. We are viewing the Luxe Channel and specifically the Bulletin on the Luxe-Full Alert Zone (Full Screen Alert Zone).
When you click on the bulletin the text will display below, which can be read by assistive technology, such as a screen reader.
Disabling Content Accessibility on a Zone
Log into Carousel as the system 'Admin'. Navigate to admin > Configure > Zones and select 'Edit' on the Zone you wish to disable Content Accessibility.
From the Zone Edit screen, scroll down to 'General Settings' and and click on the 'Display on Accessibility Site' toggle to 'No'.
Disabling Content Accessibility by Bulletin
From the Main Menu, navigate to Bulletins and 'Edit' the bulletin you wish to remove from the Accessibility Site.
Click on the 'Extras' chevron tab, scroll down to the 'Public Display' section and click on the 'Display on Accessibility Site and RSS' toggle to 'No'.
Bulletin Types that are Not Supported on the Accessibility Site
- Analog Clock
- Digital Date/Time
- Countdown Timer
- Live Video (video will play if supported by the browser, e.g. HLS, but there is no closed captioning)
Alerts and Repeating Bulletins
- Active Zone Alert Bulletins will replace all of the Zone's regularly scheduled content. Displaying only Zone Alert Bulletins on on the Accessibility Site. When the Zone Alerts are disabled, the Zone's regularly scheduled content will display.
- Active Full Screen Alert Bulletins will display at the top of the Zone's list on the Accessibility Site and are depicted in red. When Full Screen Alerts are disabled they will not longer be represented on the Accessibility Site.
- Repeating Bulletins are represented in the same order as the Manage Bulletins page and do not repeat on the Accessibility Site.
Accessible Channel and Bulletin Design Tips
- Name Channels, Zones and Bulletins in a way that will provide necessary context for use with assistive technologies.
- Assistive technologies will read the Bulletin content according to the 'Field Entry and Drawing Order', as depicted in the Bulletin Layout Editor. Template block order determines how the content is presented, so be sure to order your Template blocks in a presentable way.